Wednesday, April 18, 2007

What are my favorite blogs, you ask?

Okay, so you didn't really ask. But now I bet you're wondering. Aren't you? See, nobody knows you like I do, dear reader.

And, to honor that, I will attempt to satisfy your newly-hatched curiosity.

I bookmark my blogs into categories, Political Blogs, Fun Blogs, and Food Blogs.

My very favorite political blog is, of course Wonkette (which is generally never safe for work [sorry about that, E!]). Its tagline used to read "Politics for People with Dirty Minds," and, since I am both a poli-sci major and a notorious perv, well, how could I help but love it. Be sure to read the comments, too, because they are among the snarkiest on the interwebs.

Fun Blogs have been a bit neglected by me lately, due to this whole first quarter of the year being equal parts swirling mass of major suckitude and the happiest moments of my life. But one fun blog I enjoy reading is Profiles in Toolness. Granted, not all of the contributors are great writers, but it does have moments of brilliance. I used to be an avid Television Without Pity reader when I really had shows I watched regularly. It was great when Trading Spaces was worth a damn. In fact, it was from TWoP that I learned my favorite non-swearing curse phrase: What the Frank? Oh, and the Six Feet Under recaps were awesome, too.

Now, Food Blogs always get my attention, and there are some fantastic ones. My all-time favorite food blog is Diary of The Food Whore, in which a caterer/restauranteur's brushes with truly (well, hopefully) unique diners are chronicled for humanity. If you recognize yourself among the patrons about whom she writes, I recommend you change your ways. She is a brilliant and funny writer. And, while I am totally omnivore, the Vegan Lunchbox diaries a mom's efforts to make interesting vegan lunches for her school-aged son. She has now published a cookbook. And I have never made lunches that look so good. Accidental Hedonist is an awesome mix of food and politics, often discussing where the two overlap. It tends to be the first site I go to when I hear of a food recall. This blog really opened me up to the illusion of safety of our nation's food supply.

So, I hope I've opened up new vistas on the 'net for friends, family, and total non-stalker-y strangers. Enjoy! Oh, and tell me what your favorite blog is. I love finding cool new ones.

(Oh, P.S. Nashville is Talking is a local favorite blog, which has its own special category, and that I forgot to mention.)

2 comments:

Lynnster said...

Hey, thanks for the tip... I especially enjoyed what I read of The Food Whore's blog, but I was very disappointed to find there's apparently no easy way to subscribe to the feed... even the link to the RSS feed pops up with copyright information and you can't get to it. I tried to just put her blog front page into my reader and it wouldn't pick up a subscription feed. Unless you have any suggestions?

I have a handful of non-feedable blogs in my web browser, but have found I forget about them and hardly ever read 'em since they can't be subscribed by feed. :(

Anne said...

While I think I have a feed on my blog, I don't actually subscribe to any...

There will always be a bit of a luddite in me!