Friday, March 30, 2007

I, your humble blogger, have been nudged...

and, because I have a following (of one, apparently, but I'll take it), I will respond.

There is so much that is stupid going on in the world that it is difficult to focus on just one thing, but I will try. The Stupid i will tackle today is Bloggers Who Fear Intellectual Discourse.

Those of us who have spent any time on the internet, particularly blogs or message boards, have encountered people whose raison d'etre would appear to be pot-stirring. Those are folks who post provocative pieces, but, when challenged by commenters on those pieces, either delete the posts (Terry Frank) or respond by lashing out and name calling (Glen Dean). The latter of those two called me a bitch this week on NashvilleisTalking.com. To be fair, I baited him a bit, because he had, several months ago accused me of "flexing my intellectual dick" over at his place when I corrected his oh-so-misguided notion on something I can no longer recall.

Glen and Terry and their ilk seem to be afraid of challenging their deeply held notions, no matter how lacking in facts they seem to be. So their reaction is to lash out at those of us who aren't afraid of exposing their ideas (not to mention ideals) to intellectual rigor.

When did it become okay to be ignorant? And not just to be ignorant, but to embrace that ignorance with all the gusto to which Linus embraced his blanket? Heaven forfend someone tell those people their notions are misguided. Beware those who dare tell them they've got their facts wrong.

Bless their hearts.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish someone would write bad things about me in their blog. I've gotten some hate mail, but to the best of my knowledge, I don't rank high enough yet on anyone's radar to warrant a spiteful blog mention.

Anne said...

I am surprised you haven't garnered any hate blog posts, the watcher. Your blog is very provocative.

But, I can promise you that you won't be the subject of any hate here!