Wednesday, March 14, 2007

We live in the land of biblical idiots

I find this opinion piece both fascinating and troubling (here's a news report about Professor Prothero's article), being a not-so-recent transplant to the Bible Belt, who grew up in, by and large, in Utah, a Bible Belt in its own right. I also attend an evangelical, non-denominational mega-church-to-be. I mean, I think people should read the Bible because it is important literature. I also think people should read the Koran for the same reason. I think both should be taught as part of history, particularly as so much of western civilization concerns these two books.

But, when

50% of high school seniors think Sodom and Gomorrah were married


well, something needs to be done. And it leads me to wonder what is going on in Sunday schools. Anybody actually teaching the Bible?

No comments: